Cristofer A. Cabanillas
Partner, President and CEO
Se Habla Español.
Get to Know Cris:
What do you enjoy most about working in wealth management?
One word, PEOPLE. What a privilege it is to work with incredible people and step into this trusted role in the community. Helping people navigate this complex web of finance gives me great purpose in this world. I enjoy building on those relationships, finding solutions, and ultimately providing a service that can impact generations. It's powerful.
Which of your skills do you find most helpful in your work?
I am a problem solver, and finding healthy solutions for complex situations is something I enjoy. It takes a unique set of skills, especially when it comes to the communication and implementation of the plan. Empowering people with the solutions to transform their financial lives gives me the greatest joy.
What is the best part of working at Monterey Private Wealth?
Our culture of honor. Since our firm was first established, there has always been a commitment to service. It's a spirit of generosity that comes out in the way we honor our clients, the professionalism of our team, and a sincere desire to put others' needs ahead of our own. It is a privilege to be a leader in this organization.
What is the best financial advice you have ever received?
The borrower is the slave to the lender. It's a biblical Proverb that resonates a lot with me. It's a pattern I have seen throughout my life, and the damage too much debt can bring to a person. Being in bondage financially diminishes our hope level. Financial freedom, on the other hand, allows us to pursue a deeper purpose for our lives.
How have you been involved in your community?
I believe strong families are the building blocks of strong communities. My first community is my home. While our kids are still in the home, I have enjoyed working with youth - serving on school boards or in various organizations that promote the Arts. Financial Literacy is also something I am very passionate about. I believe Personal Finance should be taught along with English and Math. It's been an honor finding solutions to bring this important life skill into schools on the Monterey Peninsula.
What do you love doing outside of work?
I married the girl of my dreams! Since we met, we have enjoyed traveling the world. As our family has grown, we have continued to travel as a family. Each trip becomes a mission, as we explore cultures and grow a deep appreciation for people all over the world. We are also foodies - always on a quest to find the best nachos! I enjoy working out, playing golf, and listening to live music when I have some downtime.
Education and Accreditations:
- Cris is an Accredited Investment Fiduciary® and CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ practitioner, as well as a Certified Investment Management Analyst ®.
- Cris earned his B.S. in Economics from the University of San Diego and a certificate in Personal Financial Planning from San Diego State University.
- Cris completed the Investment Management Education Program at the University of Chicago Booth School of Business.
Expertise and Experience:
- Cris currently serves on the Board of Directors for the Carmel Bach Festival. He is also a board member of Campfire Concerts, an organization committed to bringing worship concerts and events to the Monterey Peninsula for families.
- He is a member of the Rotary Club of Monterey. In addition, he is involved in leadership roles for various educational service projects, including a mentor program for California State University Monterey Bay students.
- Cris has served as Chair of the Board of Trustees for the International School of Monterey and on the Board of Community Homeless Solutions, formerly Shelter Outreach Plus. Cris also served on the Board of Directors for the Monterey/Santa Cruz Financial Planning Association and is a graduate of the Leadership Monterey Peninsula. In 2006, Cris brought a financial literacy program into Monterey Peninsula classrooms, educating high school seniors on budgeting, saving, investing, taxation and insurance. The program continues to grow in a quest to educate more students across the county.
*Please Note: Limitations. The achievement of any professional designation, certification, degree, or license, recognition by publications, media, or other organizations, membership in any professional organization, or any amount of prior experience or success, should not be construed by a client or prospective client as a guarantee that he/she will experience a certain level of results or satisfaction if Monterey Private Wealth, Inc. is engaged, or continues to be engaged, to provide investment advisory services.