Gary E.D. Alt
Partner, Co-founder and Chief Financial Officer
To schedule a 30-minute introductory phone call with Gary please click here: Schedule a call now
Get to Know Gary:
What do you enjoy most about working in wealth management?
The most rewarding part of working with clients is helping them to see the long-term impact of decisions they are making today. Their personal values are reflected in their plan, and the peace of mind it gives them is very meaningful to me.
Which of your skills do you find most helpful in your work?
A rewarding part of what I do for my clients is the fact that it requires both left-brain financial & analytical skills, and right-brain relationship & communication skills. Each solution for a client requires great listening skills and some intuition.
What is the best part of working at Monterey Private Wealth?
By far, the best part of working at Monterey Private Wealth is our team. Each of them brings unique perspectives, life experiences, and talents to MPW and our clients. On top of that, they all have a great work ethic and are fun to be around.
What is the best financial advice you have ever received?
The best financial advice I've ever received is also the most mundane - save money every month. Fortunately, I understood that principle since I was a kid and started investing in college. Good financial habits and discipline build wealth over time.
How have you been involved in your community?
I've served on Stanford Health Care - ValleyCare Hospital's Community Advisory and Relations Board (CARB) since Stanford's affiliation of the hospital in 2021. I was vice-chair of finance for the ValleyCare Charitable Foundation for seven years prior to that, where we raised money to help VallyCare purchase da Vinci surgical machinery, become a certified stroke center, and many patient programs. I've also served on the boards of the Monterey Public Library Friends & Foundation, the Museum on Main Street, the Pleasanton Rotary Club, and Rotary Club Foundation.
What do you love doing outside of work?
Outside of work, I spend as much time outside as possible walking and hiking the coast, mountain biking, scuba diving, skiing, and golfing. Highlights of my love of the outdoors include receiving my private pilot certification, hiking to the summit of Mt. Whitney (at 14,508 feet, it's the highest point in the lower 48 states), scuba diving in Bora Bora, and sailing the Queen's Cup regatta across Lake Michigan, one of the oldest cups in world yachting competition.
Education and Accreditations:
- Gary is a CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ practitioner.
- Gary is an Accredited Investment Fiduciary®.
- Gary graduated with a B.A. in Finance from the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee and holds a Certificate in Financial Planning from the University of California Los Angeles extension.
Expertise and Experience:
- Before co-founding Monterey Private Wealth, Gary co-founded Willow Ridge Capital Advisors, a fee-only, fiduciary registered investment advisor with offices in Pleasanton and Monterey, California.
- Before forming Willow Ridge, Gary held numerous management and executive positions in the technology industry. As vice president and general manager at Polycom, Gary spearheaded the $339 million acquisition of an Israeli company traded on the NASDAQ and Tel Aviv stock exchanges.
- Gary has authored articles or has been quoted in several national publications, including USA TODAY, The Wall Street Journal, Nasdaq.com, and MarketWatch.
- Gary has expertise in executive compensation, including stock options and deferred compensation, retirement plans for professionals, transition planning for business owners, and the unique concerns of affluent families.
*Please Note: Limitations. The achievement of any professional designation, certification, degree, or license, recognition by publications, media, or other organizations, membership in any professional organization, or any amount of prior experience or success, should not be construed by a client or prospective client as a guarantee that he/she will experience a certain level of results or satisfaction if Monterey Private Wealth, Inc. is engaged, or continues to be engaged, to provide investment advisory services.
Articles Authored or Quoted In:
USA TODAY: Why a losing stock market can be a win for investors
The Wall Street Journal: The New ABCs of Mutual Funds
The Wall Street Journal: Clients Turn to Medicaid Trusts as Costs Soar
NASDAQ.com: When Should You Begin Collecting Social Security?
USA TODAY: What to do when behind on retirement savings
USA TODAY: What credit score do I need to refinance?
MarketWatch: A realistic debt-reduction plan for retirement
Wall Street Journal: Getting Clients to Budget, Cut Spending